Wednesday, October 17, 2018

October 17, 2018


Hello Everyone, 

We had a fabulous day at Fort Calgary yesterday!! I was SO incredibly proud of all of the students, they were respectful, helpful and shared lots of valuable information! It was a great kick off to our learning about community! Here are student reflections about what we learned or enjoyed:



Fort Calgary Reflections

I learned…
  • ·      The first nations people use the whole buffalo as their own store, they (in the past) get everything they need from the buffalo
  • ·      At Fort Calgary I learned about the past, F.N. didn’t have houses they had tipis
  • ·      I liked learning about the First Nations and Settler people, I liked building the house and learning about community
  • ·      I learned the difference between a building material and a tool – a building material is something used for building (ex. Wood, bricks, sandstone). A tool is something that helps you build (ex. Wrench, hammer, axe)
  • ·      I learned that the first nations people used the buffalo Hyde for their tipis
  • ·      I learned the tipis need to be portable so they can move to find the buffalo



I enjoyed…
  • ·      I enjoyed looking at the models of what Calgary used to look like over 100 years ago
  • ·      I enjoyed putting the costumes on, I was a settler woman
  • ·      Putting on the costumes, looking at the models, and building the settlers house
  • ·      I enjoyed looking at the models, building the house, and seeing the jail cell
  • ·      I was wearing a North West Mountain Police costume and building the settler house
  • ·      I enjoyed being a police and building the wood house, they used wood logs with a sod roof (made of grass, roots, and dirt)
  • ·      I enjoyed making the map – John A. McDonald was the first Prime Minister of Canada, he built the train so people could trade goods with each other and people!
  • ·      I enjoyed touring the museum, I liked that we saw a train and we got to walk over real train tracks
  • ·      I liked seeing the horse at fort Calgary
  • ·      I liked dressing up like the olden days and looking inside the model of the settlers house
  • ·      I liked the costumes and building the house with logs
  • ·      I enjoyed seeing the artifacts, especially the First Nations doll



Here are some photos from the day:


















Hope you enjoy! An extra thanks for our amazing parent volunteers from yesterday as well! :) 


Lindsay Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment